Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Picking the Right Camera: Part 2..Make a list

In my first post about picking the right camera I focused primarily on Megapixels. Yes, Megapixels are important, but to the regular observer, there really isn't much difference between megapixels at 18, 11, or 21 unless you are printing large scale images. Ultimately, it shouldn't be a deciding factor for picking a camera.

Make a List:
As a photographer, you will learn to stack rank what is most important to you based on what you will primarily be photographing. So my second tip for picking a camera is to stack rank what is most important to you. Below is what my ranking looks like. I then take this ranking and find the camera that best meets those needs (Of course, if budget is an issue, it has to be considered).

#1
Noise
For me, noise and low light ability are probably on the top on my list. As a wedding photographer, I have this very high on the list because I'm shooting in challenging lighting situations constantly. That's why I use a full frame sensor such as the one found on the Canon 5D Mark iii.

Basically, when it comes to noise, the larger the sensor, the better the camera will perform under low light. This is why a point and shoot 18 megapixel camera will look very inferior to a DSLR, and especially a full frame DSLR camera. The sensors are so much larger in DSLRs and the result is that noise levels are considerably lower.

The same holds true if you buy a DSLR APS-C sized camera (although I have a couple Canon 7D's and have found them to perform very very well under low light). Still, there are major improvements being made in non-full frame cameras when it comes to noise.

Noise is a major factor for me when I pick a camera. If you shoot in low light or tend to have a lot of black tones in your photography, noise is a major factor. 


#2
Focus
This is a big one for me. As a wedding photographer and portrait photographer, focus ability is very high on the list. Part of creating professional portraits is the ability to create a focus point on the specific part of the image that you as an artist dictate.

If the focus is slow, or if the focus is not in the spot chosen it can break an otherwise good image. So a camera's focus performance is very important to me. Especially when it means capturing a moment a wedding that you may have otherwise missed if your camera didn't focus fast enough. This is one of the areas where a so called "professional" camera exceeds the performance of the entry level DSLRs.

Now both advanced and entry level DSLR's are capable of taking gallery worthy images of a subject, but the advanced DSLR can give the photographer more control' which is exactly what I want. I like to maintain full control of my camera.

Just for comparison  my Canon 5D Mark iii has 61 pin point focus points that I can pick manually. The Canon 7D, not an entry camera by any means, has 19. So when it comes to focus, the 5D Mark iii outshines the 7D even though both cameras are capable of creating images that are otherwise indistinguishable to the naked eye.

#3
Dynamic Range


Dynamic range in this image insures all the details in the brightest and darkest areas of the photo are visible. A good exposure. 

Dynamic range is very important to me because of my type of style of photography. I do not ever shoot HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography because I don't think it's very natural. I don't like it. I've been accused many times of shooting HDR, because of the appearance of many of my photos. But I can attest  not a single image in my gallery is HDR. This is because I place a very big emphasis on a camera's natural dynamic range and an even greater emphasis on my ability to create a true exposure that includes a balance of the darkest and lightest points in a frame.

To do this, I have to have a camera that can expose the darkest and lightest parts of an image closest to the exposure setting I've created. If you read websites like DPreview.com they break down nearly every camera according to dynamic range. This is a serious element for me.

It's a performance issue ultimately. Whether I'm shooting portraits, nature, or weddings, the dynamic range of a particular camera can be one of the things that a professional photographer can actually see when comparing two cameras.

#4
FPS (Frames per second) and General Performance/Build.

Frames per second were never really a big issue for me. I'm not one to shoot hundreds of shots to get that perfect one. If I were a sports photographer, this would be the highest thing on the list, but for everything else, I find my needs are suited with what I have.

There are some performance and build elements that I do take into consideration. As I've mentioned before, I travel a lot and spend time in the field often. I need a camera that can take a beating. I've shot in the rain, the snow, and in the sand, so I need a camera that can literally take a beating. This is why I go with weather sealed and titanium alloy bodies. Of course, these cameras are much more expensive but for me it's worth it. Most of the entry level cameras on the market today are made of plastic. Durable, but not as stable as the titanium alloy cameras like the 5D and 7D. If I were just starting photography, I don't believe I would start out with either of those cameras though. The imaging abilities of the entry level cameras are unnoticeable to most people's eyes, so a lower priced entry camera would suit me better if I were starting photography today.

Other performance elements I particularly look for when picking a camera have more to do with advanced photography functions and custom functions. Things like memory and style settings, a locking functions dial (which the 7D lacks and drives me nutts), and LCD screen size are all things I consider.


So I basically say this:

Make your list, read reviews, test out a camera and just start shooting. Budget of course is always important. If you have $1500 to purchase a camera, I always say buy a camera in the $700-$1000 range and with the remaining money, get a lens that can perform and be of better quality than the general lenses. Glass is a whole other discuss I will save for a future blog post, but it's vital. A camera is only as good as the glass you put on it...remember. -cg

No comments:

Post a Comment