Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sunsets and the Rule of Thirds...


In my last discussion, I spoke about composition and the use of framing, which happens to be my favorite compositional element. So while on the topic of composition; I really believe that sunsets (or sunrises) are a perfect subject for a discussion of The Rule of Thirds. Sunsets are my favorite thing to photograph. They are all unique it their own way and for some reason they are all challenging in their own way too.  But for any photographer, sunsets are a prime opportunity to practice with the Rule of Thirds.
What is the Rule of Thirds? For most practiced photographers, this is a very basic compositional guideline (remember there are no rules in art).  But for the average photographer or for someone that is just getting started, it is a concept that must be understood. Unfortunately it's most often overlooked.
The Rule of Thirds is simple. It advocates that the subject or any major part of the image should NOT be placed in the center of the photograph. Instead, it should be placed in one of the areas dividing the photograph into thirds. 
The red dots are the ideal locations for subject placement.

Here are some recent images I took with it in practice. You should be able to place the diagram above over the photos and and the main subject will be on one of those red dots.
Notice subjects are in the upper right hand dot.
Main subject on the left lower red dot. 

Mix it Up! In the image below, notice the use of Rule of Thirds combined with Framing that I discussed previously.


Breaking the Rule....
Now there are times when the subject can be centered in the middle, but you as the photographer have to experiment to see when you can deviate from the Rule of Thirds. 
For the image below, I placed the subjects in the middle, obviously breaking the rule.

Subjects in the middle sometimes work. For this image the reflection, the framing and the overall "California" feel were captured with the subjects in the middle. I shot one in the middle and one using the Rule of Thirds. In this case, the centered image worked. 


Using Rule of Thirds to improve your Sunrise and Sunset photos:


Now back to sunsets and sunrises. Hopefully, with the explanation and examples above, you have a better understanding of the Rule of Thirds. Applying it to sunrise and sunset photography is good practice.


Here are technical tips for great sunset/sunrise photos:
1. You should be using Manuel Mode, but with sunset and sunrise you can also use Aperture (A on Canon) or Shutter Priority (Tv on Canon) mode.  These modes all allow you to set your ISO to a low setting, which brings me to my next tip. 


2. Set your ISO! A low ISO number is vital. Since the sun has plenty of light to expose onto the sensor a low ISO will insure that “noise” will be minimal. “Noise” is the equivalent to film grain. So the higher the ISO, the more specs or grain will be visible. The only modes that allow you to control your ISO manually are those modes north of the “automatic” modes (Tv, Av, M or P on a Canon).


3. Meter not only for the sun, but for different areas of the sky. You will surprise yourself.


4. Be patient and don’t leave once the sun goes down. Stay late! During a recent shoot in Yosemite I noticed many photographers left once the last rays of light hit Half Dome. I am usually always the last one to leave. Why? Because as the suns hides behind the horizon, light bends in the sky; this bend often creates some dramatic colors that I would have otherwise missed if I would have left.


5. Don’t be afraid of clouds! I often won’t even go shoot a sunset if there are no clouds in the sky. That’s how much I love clouds. I love clouds, they add depth, and many times I’ve been lucky enough (patience) to capture some very dramatic colors in the clouds, especially after storms.


Sunset Composition Tips. 


I live by these when I shoot sunset/sunrise.


1. Of course, my first tip is to use the Rule of Thirds.


2. As a guideline, try to avoid placing the horizon directly in the middle of the frame.  Now I bend this guideline all the time, when I see fit. Generally, the human eye prefers photographs that are NOT cut in half. Place emphasis on something. This goes along with the Rule of Thirds. If you include more sky than land, the sky will be dominate, and the same for vice-versa. Many times I find myself on the beach wanting to emphasize reflections in the water. This is when I raise the horizon to the upper third of the frame to emphasize the water.


3. Keep the plain level. A horizon that is slanted appears unnatural. So as a guideline I suggest balancing the horizon.


4. Try to place objects in the foreground that will silhouette. This can make any photo more interesting.


5. Mix up your shots with vertical and horizontal compositions.


Below are some sunset/sunrise images that hopefully inspire you to go practice! Enjoy! -cg

Notice the horizon doesn't split the photograph in half. 




No comments:

Post a Comment