Search This Blog

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Rock. Sunset at Point Dume

Yesterday, I went to Point Dume to catch sunset and maybe a glimpse at a whale or two in migration. It was a rather breezy evening there, but as I've said before, I think it's the best place to catch sunset in Malibu. This time though, I really wanted to focus on getting an image of the actual point of "The Rock" (as I call it).

Earlier in the day I looked through some of my files of Point Dume and realized that somehow I'd never shot a photo from the beach. I've always been so consumed with the view from above that I neglected the beautiful beach below. 

So this time I stayed on the beach for a different prospective and partly because I have a knee injury that prohibits me from climbing or hiking. 

Point Dume: 
It's an iconic place. For anyone who watches TV and has also been to Point Dume it's the location for countless TV commercials and really just about any movie that involves the beach somehow ends up using Point Dume or Zuma Beach. Probably because it's so beautiful and has so much sand many sets and backgrounds can be built. And as a photographer, I can attest that the lighting there is great. Point Dume's popularity in film was probably first made in 1968. It's the location of the iconic image of the Statue of Liberty buried in the sand by the beach

Anyways...enough history. Here's the images I captured from below. -cg






No comments:

Post a Comment