Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Prospective on shooting RAW



Do you shoot RAW?
That’s always a question I get asked when I’m in the field. It’s a great question actually; one that makes me stop and think about how I will answer. My answer is always the same. 
The truth is. I have a love/hate relationship with the RAW file format. It’s not that I don’t like it, or that I love it, it has more to do with the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day. And converting RAW files to jpegs or tiffs takes time!
But before I explain my workflow when it comes to RAW, I want to visit what RAW is to begin with.


RAW
RAW files are so named because they are not yet processed. The purpose of raw image format is to save the maximum amount of data from a digital sensor with minimum loss of information including the conditions surrounding the capturing of the image. In simple terms, it’s the highest quality of image and data that can be compiled by your camera’s sensor.


RAW images can’t be printed or viewed until converted to conventional file types (like jpeg or tiff) using specialized conversation software usually distributed by the camera companies. 


RAW files as basically the “digital negative” of your photograph. And similar to film, the negatives can be fine-tuned in the darkroom because negatives hold all the original image data. In the case of RAW digital images, you can recalculate the settings in the camera at the time of taking the photo and essentially "retake" the photo using the new settings including the color temperature in the white balance.


Think of it this way. RAW is just like film before you take it to get processed. The only difference is that the software (and you) are doing the "darkroom" stuff now. 

RAW allows you to get the most out of your camera; but at a price. Because it’s uncompressed and therefore unprocessed, it means that the file size is a lot larger than a jpeg due to the fact that it’s holding so much information meaning there will be costs associated with both time needed to convert the files (if you are professional) and storage costs. But if you are going to be printing large photographs RAW is the way to go for quality reasons. 


This image was converted from RAW to jpeg after fine tuning in Canon Photo Pro Software. Everything from white balance to shadow detail to exposure (2 stops) can be recalculated by shooting RAW. 

I normally shoot large JPEGS when I'm shooting regular everyday photographs. I say "large" because every camera has a setting to allow for smaller sized files. My take is that if you own an 18 megapixel camera there is no reason to shoot smaller sized jpegs. After-all, a big reason you paid so much for the camera is partly for those extra pixels. 

So how do I determine whether I should shoot RAW? Simple, it depends on the situation and the type of photography I am doing. Quite frankly, I'm confident in my ability to expose an image properly or at least closely enough to "right" the first time. Consequently, I shoot JPEG most of the time. BUT for most paid assignments or photo shoots I do photograph my subjects using RAW settings.


For Fine Art, RAW is a must. When you combine the post processing abilities of RAW with your photographic expertise such as proper F-Stop, Aperture, ISO the possibilities in post processing are endless. Here is an example from one of my signature ART pieces.


The advantage of using RAW in Fine Art is that every extra bit of data in the image is retrievable using the conversation software. In this case, the details in the dark areas where recorded in the original image and I was able to extract that detail before processing the image. Once the image above is processed I can import it into Photoshop and make any adjustments within the converted JPEG.  


I do prefer JPEGs to RAW when shooting general stuff and most portrait shoots. Again, most of my preference is due to the my confidence in shooting it right the first time. The biggest factor for me is time. Because RAW files take so much time to convert, it can get quite exhausting.  


PROS to Shooting in RAW:
  • Data. All that information stored in RAW images allows you to utilize all that information to get the most out of the image.
  • RAW allows you to alter any errors in exposure (usually up to 2 stops and slightly more) and make corrections.
  • The data also allows you to use the maximum amount of post processing abilities prior to editing in Photoshop.
  • RAW also allows you to go back and try different camera settings and basically reprocess the image using custom settings prior to importing into Photoshop. 

CONS to Shooting RAW:
  • Very large files, so storage can be an issue and you will fill up CF cards faster.
  • You have to process the images before you can share, or edit them in Photoshop. 
  • Time. It takes time.
  • You need additional software to convert.

PROS to Shooting JPEGS:

  • Files are smaller and therefore more of them fit on a card.
  • For most purposes image quality is more than sufficient (family snapshots, news images).
  • Many photographers, like myself, don't have the time or inclination to post-process their files if it's not a paid assignment.


One quick note on JPEGS: 
Please remember that if you use Photoshop, as great as it is, it has it's limits. If you shoot JPEG's you are recording the image as you shot it. So you can't recalculate (or digitally retake) the image in Photoshop because you are limited to the data stored in the JPEG (which is nothing close to what's in the RAW file). Photoshop merely manipulates the data you recorded in jpeg form.

So when people ask me what I prefer. I say it depends on the situation. For example, if I'm shooting a wedding, I shoot the most important shots (the kiss, portraits, other major events during the day) in RAW. Shots before the ceremony like the bride getting her hair done and the groom I normally shot in JPEG. This is all in the name of time. It's my personal way of doing things. 

For anyone starting out with Digital SLR's, I always recommend if you can learn how to shoot RAW early in the learning process, it will help you greatly in the learning process all around. -cg

2 comments:

  1. As always, excellent article Carlos.

    I'm just starting out with my dSLR, but the software I've been using for years to resize and touch up my pictures has been Irfanview. It converts RAW to JPG instantly (provided no crazy post-processing) and can do batches using just a drop-down menu. It's also free to use (but a license can be purchased). Sounds like it might clear up some of your time constraints, but I'm curious if you've tried it and if you have any opinion on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carson! I will look up that software and give it a try. My Canon Software has a batch process as well, but the camera's files are so large I'm not sure any software can speed that up. I'll take a look...thanks for reading! -cg

      Delete