Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Favorite Images of 2014: 16-11

It's that time again, when I gather my favorite (not necessarily my best photos) photos of the year and put them into one file that I simply title "2014 Favorites". As I sit at my computer, I look at the number of images I've captured this year. It's safe to say that I've taken more photos in 2014 than any prior year.

Although, I've taken some favorite wedding and portraits images in 2014, my list this year is strictly art based. Perhaps I will make a list only for Portraits and Weddings if I have time....

So here are my 15 favorite photography moments/images of the 2014.

16. The Milky Way over Malibu.


It's not secret that I love taking photos at night. I love the Milky Way. And photographing "the snake", better known as Malibu Canyon Road, from above is one of my favorite locations to shoot sunset. But when a marine layer moves in over Malibu, it absorbs much of the light from below. The result is a rather clear view of the Milky Way over Malibu. This is one of my favorite images of the year simply because I spent so much time there, and because I was able to successfully capture an image I've had in my mind for a long time. 


15. The amazing clouds one day in March...



It was probably the coolest sky I've witnessed in LA and I remember this day clearly. Had it not been a picture text I received from a friend, I would have missed this spectacle. I literally grabbed two cameras and drove 5 minutes away to Malibu Creek State Park. I knew exactly that this tree was going to be a perfect subject for the clouds. So I quickly set up the 6D for a timelapse and began shooting images with the 5D. The images above are just a few images I captured in a 15 minute time span. A portion of the timelapse I captured on this day is HERE.

 14.  The Joshua Tree garden....


I guess you could say 2014 was my year of Panoramic Photography. This is just one of many I captured this year. I call in "Joshua Tree Garden". Shot at 400mm in about 8 different sections. The compression factor created by a long lens is one of my favorite effects.

13. Early morning in San Francisco. 


Early morning July 4th. 3:30 am to be precise. This is San Francisco in the only few hours that the fog cleared. I was hoping to get lucky on July 4th to capture the fireworks display and the Golden Gate Bridge, but anyone from San Francisco can tell you that that is asking for a lot. Regardless, this is one of my favorite panoramic images of the year. Totaling only 100 Megapixels you can see the full image HERE.

12. The details at Yosemite.


I've spent lots of time photographing the magnificent Yosemite National Park. And I've got a couple images in my Top 16 this year, just like I did last year. But this image is not El Capitan, Half Dome, or any of the iconic waterfalls within the park. It was taken from Tunnel View however. Taken at 300mm as part of a large panoramic image of the full Valley the final image was about 200 megapixels. Ironically, I loved this image more than the whole.


11. Gullfoss Waterfall


What can I say? Iceland was a dream come true and I captured so many photos there, I could make a whole blog entry on my favorite images of that country alone. This was taken right by the waterfall that falls deep into a canyon. The path to this location was closed due to the large amount of ice and the risk of slipping into the waterfall, but that didn't stop me from venturing down to this awesome location. The ice cold water and snow is so blue...so memorable. As I write this, I can hardly wait for my return trip around the whole island of Iceland in March 2015.

In the coming days I will continue this countdown.....-cg





1 comment: